Friday, June 20, 2014
Power Eating
Boker Tov everyone!
So, just to start off from last post, one of the reasons that I came to Tel Aviv was to investigate how philanthropy can potentially aid in the construction of identity. What that means is that I'm examining how nonprofit work allows people to shape their own perceptions of who they are, what their race is, what their gender is, how they situate themselves with a nationality, et cetera. To do this, I want to hear several narratives from the audience of Olim Beyahad. I want to hear their stories, their conflicts, their goals, and what makes them, them.
Of course, this is an intricate study, and one that will inevitably require months of meeting with individuals and getting to know them, but in a way, it's exhilarating to gain knowledge on how people align themselves with a certain trait or characteristic. Influencing this process not only gives people the ability to gain trust with others but also have more representation and power in terms of identification. What that spells for the future cannot be predicted, but it's certainly fascinating to behold precisely because narratives themselves are extraordinary political works.
As I learn more about the individuals of Olim Beyahad, I'm starting to become more used to exploring Tel Aviv. Other than getting lost at times, I'm getting more and more out of my comfort zone, what with going to restaurants, parks, and famous monuments, I hope to know a little bit about this city at the end of the summer! Displayed is a meal that I had recently in the Yemenite Quarter of Tel Aviv; and it was delicious! There truly is no benefit greater than having the opportunity to experience a piece of culture in this way.
Next stop: museums!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment