Thursday, June 12, 2014
Adventure Calls!
Lately, I've been exploring Tel Aviv to figure out why people praise it so much and what makes it so unique from any other city out there. I had visited Tel Aviv before during the winter, when I came with a group of students to study philanthropy and nonprofit institutions in the Middle East, but I figured I didn't have enough information to really solve that inquiry. Then, I figured that the key to my answer didn't exactly lie in anthropological investigations, but rather, it relied on lived experiences and the kinds of narratives that shape Tel Aviv, itself. So, in order to answer that beguiling question, I need to experience Tel Aviv for what it is, what it represents, and how it can potentially change me.
To do this, I've been going to various sites in Tel Aviv, like the Carmel Market, the Yemenite Quarter, the beaches, Tel Aviv Port, and there hasn't been a single site that has let me down or disappointed me. In all honesty, I don't think that anything in this city will, but until I find out more, I'll continue to keep an eye out for things interesting, unique, and lively!
Other than exploring Tel Aviv, I've begun to delve more into my work at the Institute for Philanthropy and Olim Beyahad. At the latter, I tutor members who want to be more fluent in English, orally. So, I met with my first "student" and we conversed for about an forty-five minutes on casual topics, like what books he reads, what he likes about them, what goals he wants to accomplish, et cetera. In a way, it was good to hear his story, and find out a couple of reasons why Olim Beyahad exists for the marginalized. I can expect to learn more as I talk to these people, and hopefully make the connection between philanthropy and identity - my personal end game.
But, that's for another blog post. Until then, enjoy some hummus and falafels!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment