Hello everyone,
I was recently evacuated from Israel for security reasons, understandably ending my experience on a sudden note. However, before I permanently close this specific narrative, I want to say a few humble words about everything that I have witnessed, encountered, and felt during my time this summer.
Obviously, the Middle East is not the easiest place to live or exist for many reasons that most people can gather, if they saw a report about terrorist organizations in the region, or the ethnic tensions between many groups, or the fact that many civilians get killed in the crossfire between main powers fighting for control over a piece of land or territory. Whenever a conversation occurs about the Middle East, it usually involves dialogue concerning space, history, power, and who has the right to actively live within that region.
For a closer connection, when I lived in Israel this past summer, although I was in a city characterized by its cosmopolitan nature, it was easy to see how coexistence had its complications within Tel Aviv, and within the surrounding areas, like Jerusalem, what with riots, protests, and disagreements occurring as the conflict escalated. Occupation and the right to self-determination played a role in driving bitterness towards the citizens and anger towards the victims, which were, virtually, everyone involved in the Middle East.
The thing about these situations, like I said previously in a separate post, is that it's a matter of perspective, which philanthropy tends to focus on when telling the stories of who they help and why it helps its intended audience. But, more so, when it comes to down to it, I feel that a culture needs to change through challenging these perspectives of ownership and what territory truly belongs whom, because no territory can be singly owned by one person or one group. If that view continues to penetrate the minds of people in that region, then there is no end to the conflict. It's not an easy conversation to have, but it's one that should inevitably happen to realize a larger foundation.
However, regardless of political talks, I am saddened to see my experience end because I had to witness a conflict explode in very literal ways, but I am more depressed on hearing of others who have died because they got trapped in a conflict that always has ramifications on the citizenry. Although a bit odd to say, especially since I had to evacuate to bomb shelters and build my mentality to stay persistent and strong, in many ways I was privileged to be in a secure environment - an environment that many do not have when it comes to these kinds of scenarios. Tired words at this point, but because there is inequality and conflict amid groups, talks, discussions, and conversations should never end, even when it seems like the whole framework is collapsing and failing.
Despite the pessimism surrounding peace, I can only hope that the next time I visit Israel and the Middle East, it will be in a better state.
Until next time,
Joel
Great post!
ReplyDelete